The tour explores some of the hidden treasures of the Agrigento province (like the Turkish steps), we will take you where nobody else is able to bring you.
We will start from your accommodation and will drive you to the magnificent Scala dei Turchi (The Turkish steps), a white rocky cliff on the coast of Realmonte. The landscape you will discover is astonishing and has been sculpted by atmospheric agents to resemble a staircase. It is considered one of the most beautiful spot and beaches in the world and Trip Advisor, on 2013, as listed it as one of the best Italian spot.
The Turkish steps, the Ancient villages of Burgio & Caltabellotta.
|location_cityPick up||At your accommodation|
|person_pin_circleStart||Agrigento Down Town|
|pan_toolFirst Stop||The Turkish steps|
|pan_toolSecond Stop||Ancient village of Caltabellotta|
|pan_toolFourth Stop||Ancient village of Burgio|
|beenhereArrival||At your accommodation|
|timerDuration||Approx 8 hours|
|terrainVegetation on the trail||Mediterranean|
|account_balanceMonuments and POI on the trail||Seafront and Beach Side (Punta grande) – The Turkish steps – Ancient Village of Caltabellotta – Ancient village of Burgio|
This tour is operated by an experienced guide, which will drive and give you all the relevant info during the journey.
See as locals.
We will start from your accommodation and will drive you to the magnificent Scala dei Turchi (The Turkish steps), a white rocky cliff on the coast of Realmonte. The landscape you will discover is astonishing and has been sculpted by the geological eras and atmospheric agents to resemble a staircase. It is considered one of the most beautiful spot and beaches in the world and Trip Advisor, on 2013, as listed it as one of the best Italian spot.
To reach the Turkish steps we will walk over a fine golden sand on the beach of Punta Grande. The contrast between the white of the rock and the blue of the sea makes the Turkish steps a little piece of heaven on earth.
Duration of the visit 1,5 hours. Arrival 9:30 a.m. Departure 11:00 a.m.
The tour proceeds along the coast towards Ribera where we will turn and start to escalate the Monti Sicani (Sicanian Mountains) through the mount Kratas up to the oldest Village of this district and one of the ancient in Sicily, Caltabellotta.
It is known that Romans in 99 BC conquered this high village located at 949 mt above sea level. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire and several centuries under the Byzantine Empire, it was stormed by the Arabs, who later built here a castle. In 1090 it was conquered by the Normans of Roger of Sicily.
Here we will explore the medieval village visiting the amazing cathedral built by Normans, the castle of Arabs and we will be going up to the famous Eremo of San Pellegrino where you will remain amazed by the panorama and enjoys one of the most beautiful views which are dominating the western part of Sicily. This view is very particular and is giving a spectacular contrast between the Mediterranean heading to the coastal area of Africa and the mountaintops which are characterizing the Sicanian mountains.
Duration of the visit 1,5 hours. Arrival 12:00 a.m. Departure 1:30 p.m.
In Caltabellotta we will stop at a local restaurant, where a traditional Sicilian lunch will be prepared for you with local and fresh farmer’s food.
You will also have the pleasure of tasting the famous Sicilian Extravirgin Olive Oil which is locally produced and known as one of the best in Sicily.
Duration of the visit 1,5 hours. Arrival 1.30 a.m. Departure 3:00 p.m.
The tour proceeds towards the very ancient village of Burgio which was probably founded by the Arabs. Here we will stop by the imposing castle at the top of the town and will visit the Ceramics Museum located in the high part of the village. Around the castle the atmosphere is typically medieval.
Burgio is also very famous for its pretty pottery and for being the only place in Sicily with a still functioning bell foundry, which is supplying bells all over the world. After a short visit to the foundry we will take you in a hidden treasure of this ancient village; the scary and curious museum of mummies where, inside the Capuchin convent, the mummies are recovered along with original clothes and jewelleries… a disturbing walk through skeletons and grave goods dating from the eighteenth and the nineteenth century, mummified according to ancient techniques of the Franciscan friars.
We will also stop by the centre of Burgio, where the local craftsmen will tell us about the ancient art for the creation of these precious artifacts, techniques still employed today.
Duration 1,5 hours. Arrival 3:30 p.m. Departure 5:00 p.m.
- Transfer from your accommodation to P.O.I and from P.O.I to your accommodation (only within Agrigento District ZIP code: 92100)
- Typical Sicilian lunch with fresh farmer’s food
- An experienced Oblò staff member
- Other costs not offered in this program
- Any entrance ticket for the attractions we will visit
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat and swimmers (not mandatory)
- Camera (to capture your amazing moments)
- Small bag or backpack to carry your belongings
- Rain coat (during winter season only)
- Wear comfortable clothes and covered shoes (sneakers or trainers are fine)
- Swimsuit (during summers season)
- Pick up Times
- Agrigento – 9:00 am 9:15 pick up and 5.30pm drop off
- Please note the excursion is around 8 hours.
- How many people will participate on our tour? Our local experienced guides only take small groups to ensure you have an unforgettable experience. Minimum number of 2 people and a maximum number of 8 participants.
- Can I leave my backpack, suitcase, bag or surfboard with you during the time I am on your tour? Yes. We can store your backpack, suitcase, bag or surfboard at our premises for free for the time you participate on our tour. Please let us know at the time of your booking whether you want to use this service to arrange the details. However, you will have to pick up your items immediately after finishing the tour.
- What if my accommodation is not within Agrigento’s district (out of ZIP code 92100)? Before booking the experience send us an inquiry trough the dedicated button “Send Inquiry” inside the concerned section indicating which will be the address where you want us to pick you up. We will be pleased to send you a dedicated quote with relevant link to conclude the purchasing.
- Alternatively just reach by yourself a specific address within the district and indicate it in the dedicated area you’ll find in the booking form, we will pick you up and drop off there.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the tour
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher